Skip to main content

Kayvon Thibodeaux

 

Draft rumors run rampant this time of year as players projected draft positions rise and fall (some more than others).  Defensive end Thibodeaux is a 6-4, 254-pound edge rusher and per Detroit Lion head coach Dan Campbell, “an explosive athlete and he’s a playmaker. He’s got a good, quick first step… he’s something else. He’s pretty special on tape.” 

Still, Thibodeaux has been projected anywhere from the first player selected in the draft to being picked in the latter half of the 1st round (Recent projections are Aidan Hutchinson, another defensive end, will go number one to Jacksonville).  Why the questions on Thibodeaux?  His work ethic has been questioned.  The key is to hear the “signal through the noise.”  Those questions might be coming from sources that might want Thibodeaux to drop… to their point in the draft. 

Per Thibodeaux at last month’s NFL scouting combine “I feel like everyone has a job… For me, I feel like, when you have a smart kid like me, you have a lot of positives, someone has to find the negatives… I’m not really too worried about what people have to say as far as that, as long as the teams and I can come to an understanding of who I am and how hard [I play], and the love I have for the game.”

Per Thibodeaux at last week’s pro day "The most ridiculous thing I've heard is that I'm not the best player in this draft," Thibodeaux told reporters following his pro day (he’s an Oregon Duck).  “I’m a chess player, so I’m thinking moves ahead (like) how can I set the game and dictate what the offensive tackle does… chess is football… Pass rush, I’m gonna hit you with speed… And that’s gonna set up my power moves, and then my power moves are gonna set up my counter. It’s a heavyweight match.”

Thibodeaux has been invited by the Eagles for one of their (maximum of 30) pre-draft visits.  The Eagles have selections at 15, 16 and 19 of the first round. 

As one of the top 4 or 5 edge rushers in this draft, it is unlikely Thibodeaux will get past the Eagles selection at 15… If he gets that far.  Guess here is he’s easily a top 10 pick, perhaps as high as #2 to Detroit, who has some inside info on Thibodeaux… Detroit’s first rounder last year was a teammate… Offensive Tackle Penei Sewell.  Per Sewell, "He’s very athletic, so he gave me a run for my money come practice days," Sewell said Wednesday. "It was a battle… you can already see he has it all."


Eagles Lesson: If Thibodeaux is not selected amongst the first 14 picks… It’s their move.  Not sure who in the Eagles front office plays chess, but that 15th pick, under those circumstances, will be an easy move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Placebo named Deebo

  One of the NFL’s more exciting players, All Pro wide receiver Deebo Samuel, a multi-purpose explosive talent, is demanding a trade from the San Francisco 49ers.   Samuel is a great player.   Should the Eagles “execute the required procedure” to trade for Deebo?   Oxford Languages defines PLACEBO this way: a harmless pill or… procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect. a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.   I have no doubt Deebo Samuel would truly have a positive “physiological effect” on the Eagles.   Fact is, he’s a great player who would improve any team in the NFL.   But he would not be the best answer to building this squad towards Super Bowl contender.   The Eagles have a lot of holes.   For any team where Deebo is the “Cherry on the top” to help take a very good team to the Supe, that team should pursue him.   But for teams where the draft c...

Derek Stingley Jr.

  First round draft prospect Derek Stingley Jr. is a paradox.   The LSU cornerback had an incredible freshman season, a clear top of the 1 st round talent even that young.   But since… not so much.   A combination of injuries and COVID have forced his stock down in this year’s NFL draft. Injuries have limited him to 10 games over 2 seasons since the 15 he played his freshman year.   And based upon past performance, opposing offenses have shied away from attacking him, thus yielding less tape to evaluate: The Good (from his freshman tape): He had speed, quickness and recovery speed. He had great coverage technique in breaking with opposing receivers. He brought physicality and proper hand use in coverage. He was a playmaker… He had 6 interceptions. He was an All America cornerback in both 2019 and 2020 He’s the 2 nd highest ranked corner in this draft.   A good performance in his pro day on 4/6 could vault him to #1. The Bad: While he c...

Roster Thoughts: Running Backs

  The following is a continuation of a pre-training camp series view of Eagle roster thoughts, here for the quarterbacks.  “The Ugly” here would consistently be “Player has a significant injury effecting performance, availability or both.”  Also, projections can be extreme (Example, who could have predicted Carson Wentz would be as bad as he was in 2020, historically bad).  I am trying to take realistic forecasts. Miles Sanders : Bad- Sanders is a dilemma.   0 touchdowns for a starting rb last year is clearly a poor optic, but one tied to opportunity and circumstance- While the 0 touchdowns appears, at best strange and at worst an issue, a combination of the Eagle RB committee (Jordan Howard, Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott scored 21 touchdowns in 2021) and Jalen Hurts, who ran for 10 more.   Make no mistake, Sanders, a 2 nd round pick, wants to cash in after this season having been limited to a rookie salary wage for 4 years thru (and inc...